Thursday, February 18, 2010

Waiting isn't hard to do: my view on abstinence.

This is one of those topics that no one likes to talk about, whether because it is awkward or too personal, but I feel like because it's ignored, a lot of people make mistakes regarding it. If we choose to ignore topics because they're hard or awkward or uncomfortable to talk about, no one will ever know the truth. So, on to the awkward blog...which has to do with my fears in that: it is a big fear of mine that because I have a firm stance on this (as in, it is my belief that I won't change for anyone) I may not get married... what if no one else is willing to wait? As a blanket statement before I say anything else, non-virgins--I don't feel superior to you. I, personally, think that having sex before marriage is one of the main reasons that the divorce rate is so high these days. I stay a virgin for religious and moral reasons, but I also see the intelligence behind the decision. Being a virgin isn't only about being a Christian and following God's word, it's an intelligent choice no matter your religion. I want to have a healthy relationship that isn't sitting on a foundation that is purely physical. Yes, I want to have chemistry with my husband, however I am not willing to have that be the most important aspect of my life. I believe that it shows that I respect my body, myself, and everything else that I have to offer when I choose to abstain from sex and all other sexual acts. I believe that the reason sex before marriage is so rampant, not because it's something that everyone necessarily sees is right, rather they feel the pressure to do so. I refuse to be pressured into anything. Plus, I want to be able to tell my husband on our wedding night that he is my one and only... isn't that beautiful? Wouldn't you love to know that you were the only person your husband had ever loved in that way? Won't it be a little bit hurtful to know that other women have been intimate with him? Isn't that baggage that a marriage doesn't need? I honestly feel that even if waiting until marriage didn't satisfy me in a religious sense, it would satisfy me as a forward-thinking modern woman. By not needing to have sex before marriage, it's showing that I respect myself and believe that I have enough to offer someone that I don't need to have sex to be worthy of them. I'm saying that I know that I shouldn't have to give up a part of myself in order to be worthy of marriage. I know that a lot of people will be turned off by this blog, but isn't that how life is? Nobody likes to hear the truth, especially when it hurts, but this is it. This is about real life and how this one decision can really change everything for a girl or a guy. I"m not talking down to anyone when I write this, but I think that pre-marital sex is an avoidable mistake, and by making that choice, you're giving away a piece of you that you won't ever get back. Please, read this and know...you are worth the world, and having sex with someone doesn't make you more special to them. It doesn't up your chances of staying together or having a healthier relationship. In my belief system, sex was something God made to be enjoyed between a man and his wife, why is it so hard to wait those extra few years? I'm a virign, and I'm living a very fulfilled life... how does momentary pleasure do anything to add to that?

No comments: